Friday, June 24, 2011

11. One Month With No Gas!

     Today it's been a month since I took delivery of my LEAF.  During that time I haven't bought a single drop of gas for my Lexus.


     According to the CarWings LEAF owner's website, I've driven slightly more than 1,000 miles and consumed 215kWh of electricity.  At Austin's (high) electric rate of $0.14/kWh I've spent about $30.00 for electricity (or $1.00/day).  Considering that I normally spend $10 per day (!) to air-condition my home during the summer, what I'm spending to charge my LEAF is chickenfeed.


     Had I instead been driving my Lexus around the city at (conservatively) 20mpg, I would have burned up 50 gallons of premium gas.  Assuming premium at roughly $3.80/gal that's $190.00 worth of gas.  We all know gas prices are going much higher soon, but even a savings of $160/mo is nice.  Plus (according to CarWings) during this month I avoided spewing 626 lbs of CO2 into the air.


     The LEAF is very cheap to drive, frisky, nimble in traffic, eerily quiet, comfortably cool, and environmentally friendly.  What's not to like?


     It's also FUN... a BLAST to drive!


     I love my LEAF!



No comments:

Post a Comment