Sunday, June 12, 2011

8. The AC Is SUPER Cold, and That's Just Fine With Me

     Today it was 98 degrees.  Austinites are accustomed to summer heat; and we rely on good air-conditioning in our homes, offices, malls, and cars.  Texans know good air conditioning, and I can tell you that the LEAF's AC is truly exceptional!  


     As I've mentioned before, because the LEAF's electric AC compressor doesn't depend on high engine rpm, it operates at 100% from the moment you turn it on, even if the car isn't moving.


     Today while stopped for a long time in downtown traffic, I actually had to turn the AC vents away from my hands on the steering wheel and towards the roof because the blowing air was making my fingers uncomfortably cold... this while the car was sitting dead still on baking asphalt that was probably 110 degrees.  Now that's what I call good AC! 


     At the same time, as I sat there motionless the LEAF was not wasting one erg of battery energy on anything other than keeping me cool and comfy.  There was no idling gasoline engine generating waste heat, and my LEAF wasn't putting one gram of CO2 into the air.


     Since I charge my car at home with Austin "green" electricity generated by West Texas windmills, my splendidly comfortable day of driving around town had a zero carbon footprint and cost me 3 cents a mile.  What's not to like about that?


     So far I haven't been able to identify a single thing about my LEAF that I'd consider a negative. If I ever do, I'll let you know.





No comments:

Post a Comment