Friday, June 10, 2011

6. Paradigm Shift



     As I merged with freeway traffic on my way to work this morning it occurred to me that the LEAF is not just the next step in the evolution of the automobile, it's a revolution in travel.  


     Leaving the gym, my LEAF accelerated effortlessly and with eerie smoothness from a standstill to highway speeds.  The ride is as elegant and refined as any luxury car I've ever driven.  The handling is crisp, and you always know exactly what's going on with the road and the car.  Yet as I sped along wrapped in the LEAF's cocoon of silence there was a sense of almost complete detachment from the noisy world outside, much as if I was sitting at home playing a video game with the sound turned off.  How delightful.


     And then there's the cost of travel.  My routine morning commute to the gym and then to work is 8.7 miles.  At 3 cents/mile, this trip costs me all of 26 cents worth of electricity!  And with no tailpipe emissions.


     If that's not revolutionary, then what is?



No comments:

Post a Comment