Wednesday, June 15, 2011

9. The Stats Just Keep Looking Better

     For more than two weeks my beautiful Lexus has been sitting all lonely in the garage, shined up and full of gas with nowhere to go.  


     Ever since I got my LEAF I've been driving it everywhere and have not once felt the slightest inclination to drive the Lexus.  Why would I when the LEAF is so quick, agile, quiet, comfortable, and fun to drive?  However, I am going to have to make myself drive the Lexus once in a while just to keep the battery charged.


     My LEAF communicates with Nissan every time I drive it, and all the summary data then becomes instantly available on the Nissan CarWings website.  Here's what I'm learning:


1. Since I got the LEAF I've been driving it an average of about 40 miles a day, up to a maximum of 50-60 miles/day on weekends and maybe around 30 miles/day on weekdays.  At $.03/mile for electricity, those 40 miles/day cost me $1.20.  Compare that cost to the 2 gallons of gas I'd burn in my Lexus (very optimistically) to cover the same 40 miles for a total of roughly $8.00/day.

2. Even though I seized even the most feeble excuses to drive everywhere I could think of on weekends, with normal city driving I never got even close to using up my 100 miles of battery range.

3. During this same period of time I avoided emitting from my tailpipe a total of 352 lbs. of CO2!  

     I gotta feel really good about that.


3 comments:

  1. Are these stats coming from your charger or from CarWings? I'm curious, because I'm interested in sorting out the statistics myself, and it seems there are three main sources of information: blink charger, the car's dash and carwings online.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most of the data comes from CarWings (my charger doesn't display any data). I'm using Austin info for cost of gasoline and electricity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah. Cool. Sounds good. Looks like we have a similar system up here with Puget Sound Energy's green program.

    ReplyDelete