Tuesday, February 21, 2012

22. Why Support People Who Hate You?



The up-front purchase price of the LEAF may be slightly more than other smaller cars, but it's all gravy from there:
  • The LEAF is really fun to drive, and it's really quiet and smooth 
  • Electricity costs only about 3¢/mile at Austin rates
  • After charging overnight, I leave the house every morning with a "full tank" of electrons (enough for up to 100 miles)
  • Routine service costs are minimal to nothing (no oil changes, filters, etc.)
  • Electric cars get to drive in the HOV lanes
  • Many cities allow electric cars to park free at downtown meters
  • And my LEAF produces zero pollution
Yes, I mean zero pollution, even to generate the electricity that runs it. 


I participate in Austin's Green Energy Program; so every kilowatt of energy I use to run my home and my LEAF comes from West Texas windmills, not oil or coal.  Although I pay a slightly higher rate for this clean electricity, it feels good to know that powering my home and my LEAF does not add one gram of carbon dioxide to the atmosphere.

ADDED BONUS: When I drive my LEAF I am not sending one dime to the OPEC countries who hate America.

If there's a downside to the LEAF, I have yet to discover it.

I LOVE my LEAF!




No comments:

Post a Comment