Friday, February 3, 2012

20. Servicing the LEAF...

...Or perhaps I should title this entry, "NOT servicing the LEAF" because I've had the car since May 2011, and I still haven't been back to the dealership for anything.


When I took delivery, I was told that the first service isn't until 7,500 miles - just to rotate the tires.  Although I drive my LEAF every day, I never use it for long highway trips; so I've only managed to put 4,800 miles on the car in eight months, an average of about 20 miles per day for all commutes, shopping, and social events.


I've always taken very good care of my cars; and I was feeling a bit "guilty" that I hadn't ever been to the Nissan dealer's service department; so I called the Service Manager and asked him, "Shouldn't I be bringing my LEAF in for something?"


He chuckled and said, "What for?  There's nothing to check!  We don't need to see you until 7,500 miles to rotate your tires."  He emphasized that there are no fluids to check or change.  Unlike a gasoline engine's thousands of precision moving parts, the electric motor in the LEAF has only one moving part, the armature; so there's nothing to wear out or require servicing - no oil changes, no new oil filters, no replacing carburetor air filters, etc. 


There's no service due on my Lexus either.  The service department at the Lexus dealership is superb, the best I've ever experienced with any car.  They've always given me First Class treatment, but I confess I don't miss them at all.  I don't miss phoning for service appointments, taking time out of my day to drop off my Lexus and pick up a (free) loaner Lexus, then driving back to the dealership later to pick up my own car.  I've only put 800 miles total on my Lexus since I got my LEAF; so no service is due; but one of these days I really must think of a reason to take the car in the dealership for something.  Maybe the next time it rains I'll take the Lexus out of the garage and get it dirty - that will give me an excuse to visit the dealer for a free wash (which they're happy to do as often as you wish).  Lexus service is the BEST... but I never get to use it any more.  :-)


This May I will take my LEAF in for its first service... tire rotation!


I love my LEAF!

1 comment:

  1. Isn't it great? Cheap to run daily and no dealer invoices to twiddle with 'this that or the other'.

    FYI One needs to take the LEAF in each year for a battery check regardless of mileage. This is required to maintain the battery warranty.

    ReplyDelete