Monday, February 13, 2012

21. Is the LEAF almost as good as a gasoline car?

My LEAF is not almost as good as a gas-burner - it's better!


The LEAF is clearly superior in most ways to any gas car I've ever owned:
   • It's remarkably comfortable and fun to drive
   • It's quicker than most gasoline sedans when the traffic light turns green
   • It's rock solid on the road and corners as flat as a sports car
    • Inside it's by far the quietest car I've ever driven, even at freeway speeds
   • It's got the best AC around (and can even be pre-cooled by starting the AC remotely from my iPhone)
   • It has lots of leg room for back seat passengers, even with the driver's seat all the way back
   • It requires almost no service because the electric motor has no fluids to check/change
   • My LEAF has never been to a gas station; yet it always leaves my garage in the morning topped off with 70-100 miles worth of electricity (which costs me 3¢/mile)


The only way the LEAF cannot compete with my Lexus is in long-distance travel; but it was never meant to be a long-distance highway cruiser.


The LEAF was designed to be a superb, efficient, non-polluting city car; and I think Nissan got it just right.


I love my LEAF!

4 comments:

  1. Our experiences see to be very consistent. I average 2.95c per mile Best part is even though gas has jumped up in cost in the last two months adding to Joe Public's daily commuter costs, it still costs me just $32 per month to do 1,200 miles as it has the whole time I've had it. I can actually budget my fuel costs and be accurate; gas car drivers are at the mercy of many external factors putting pressure on the supply and demand of oil and gasoline.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you comment on the likelihood of theft of the Leaf. Also, do you get cheaper insurance rates by owning the Leaf? Thanks for sharing with us your experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Insurance is less that double the cost for my Lexus alone (only one driver for both), but I don't know how this breaks down since I was able to reduce my "estimated annual miles driven" for the Lexus down to less than 5,000.
    Regarding theft, I'd guess that with the LEAF's keyless entry/start system theft would be difficult without a flatbed tow truck. Anyway, why about theft - that's why we have insurance. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the Idea of not going to the gas station. My brothers and I are looking for a new car for our mom. Her car is old and needs to be replaced. A car that requires almost to no maintenance would be perfect for her. She does not drive often so this Nissan leaf sounds like a good candidate. http://nationwide-nissan.com

    ReplyDelete